Lets just start this by giving a shout-out to everyone who had Romo at QB and will now see a massive decline in their season. Here’s to you. Hopefully you went against conventional wisdom and drafted a second QB and are lucky enough to have Orton or Roethlisberger on your bench. But, probably not. I would say that your most consistent week to week pickups would be Matt Cassel (41% owned), Chad Henne (43% owned), Matt Hasselbeck (29% owned), or.. and it hurts me to say this.. Jon Kitna. He has the weapons around him. Dont expect huge numbers, but he should see a good amount of TDs, and expect 200+ yardage every game as the Cowboys will inevitably be playing from behind.
Now, here’s my main point. A war strategy to all of those who are already struggling for a playoff spot. 3-4, 2-5, hell, even 1-6. If you make the right moves, with a hefty side of luck, you can maybe get yourself a shot at the playoffs. Or else, as you have learned, God will hate you. Its true. You can read about it.
1) Dont fall in love. Its time to cut your ties. If you have been nursing an underperformer for all this time, get rid of him. Say goodbye to DeAngelo Williams, Marques Colston and Mike Sims-Walker. I don’t care if you wasted a high pick on Shonn Greene or Ryan Mathews, its time to tell yourself that you have no shot with them and its time to go.
2) Check out the trade market. There are teams in your league that have key injuries or underperforming players. Find them. Teams that lost Romo, teams that lost Clark and Collie, teams still struggling from the loss of a huge number of starters. Seek them out and make an offer.
3) Make the proposal. We are nearing the end of the bye weeks, meaning that your starting lineup is pretty much going to stay solid for the rest of the year. Know this and accept it. The starting 7 will be your starting 7. The key now is to make it the strongest 7 possible. Below is a 2-5 team in one of my leagues. For hypothetical purposes, I’ll set up their team to make some trades to greatly improve their odds for the rest of the year.
- Drew Brees
- Greg Jennings
- Johnny Knox
- Eddie Royal
- Shonn Greene
- Pierre Thomas
- Tony Gonzales
- LeSean McCoy
- Jay Cutler
- Mohammed Massaquoi
- Jeremy Shockey
- Chris Chambers
- Ryan Torain
The trade that you want to set up will be either 2 or 3 of your guys for 1 elite player from another team. The team that owns Romo in this league also has Hakeem Nicks. You want Nicks. Now you have to make the sacrifice. Drew Brees and Ryan Torain for Nicks. He gets a new starting QB and possible starting RB, you get a new #1 receiver. With the extra roster spot, pick up the best available player and get ready to go again.
4) Repeat. The team that owned Dallas Clark and still has Austin Collie is struggling and owns Ahmad Bradshaw. And you need an elite RB. Offer Shockey, Knox and Pierre Thomas for him. You lose 3 guys, you get one. He will get a good replacement WR and TE, and a potential starting RB. and you get an elite RB.
(Edit) 4 1/2) If a trade doesnt go through, dont let it bug you. Either move on to another WR, RB, whatever, that you want from another team, or send a personal message/counter offer to the original trade partner. Communicate with them to get what you are looking for. Sell your players.
5) Admire your new winning lineup. Jay Cutler, Greg Jennings, Hakeem Nicks, Eddie Royal, Ahmad Bradshaw, LeSean McCoy, Tony Gonzalez. Congrats on finishing with a 12-5 record.